The Backward Classes Welfare & Tribal Development Department works for social, economic and cultural development of the people belonging to SC, ST and OBC in the State. The main functions of these two Departments are :
- Promotion and implementation of educational schemes including training for enhancement of capabilities in them.
- Issuance of caste certificates and enforcement of reservation rules in services, posts and educational institutions.
- Implementation of schemes including income generation schemes for economic upliftment.
- Strengthening of infrastructure and creation of community assets for integrated development of the backward classes.
- Social and cultural development of the backward classes(SC, ST & OBCs).
- Acting upon various rights and safeguards of the Tribal Communities as provided in the Constitution of India.
- Promotion, enforcement and implementation of various Acts & Rules pertaining to protection of rights, safeguards of the Scheduled Caste & Tribal Communities.
- Preparation of plan and its implementation for PvTGs(Particularly vulnerable Tribal Groups).
- Identifying critical gaps in Tribal Development, preparation of plan and its implementation accordingly under SCA to TSP & Article 275(I) of the Constitution of India.
- Ethnographic study for identification of new communities.
- Promotion and preservation of cultures of ethnic groups.