Information infrastructure is vital for the country in view of tremendous potential of Information Technology as well as enormous efforts being made in the area by countries around the world. The Ministry of Information Technology has initiated a national focus on National Information Infrastructure with the aim of promoting use and proliferation of Information Technology.
NIC provides computer support to Central Government Departments, State Government Departments, District Administration and new districts being created by the State Governments. NIC has set up a satellite based computer communication network for providing EMAIL, INTERNET, File Transfer, access to National & International data-bases, EDI, etc. NIC has set up a local area networks in Central Government Departments and State Government Secretariates. NIC has been training the government employees on a regular basis to enable them use computerised MIS and databases. Training is provided upto district level.
NIC Jalpaiguri being the only nodal agency in this district under the Government of India, provides S/W and communication support to a number of State and Central Government.
Jalpaiguri Website: The official website of Jalpaiguri http://jalpaiguri.gov.in was designed, developed and hosted by National Informatics Centre, Jalpaiguri, West Bengal.
MAJOR ICT INITIATIVES:
- Computerisation of Motor Vehicles department (VAHAN & SARATHI, RVS & HSRP)
- National Animal Disease Reporting System (NADRS)
- Computerisation of Registration of Documents (CORD)
- West Bengal Correctional Home Management System (WBCHMS)
- Computerisation of Salary Accounts (COSA)
- Digitization and Analysis of Survey of New Tea Gardens
- ICT Support to Election Department during all elections
- National Knowledge Network (NKN)
- Immigration, Visa and Foreigner’s Registration and Tracking (IVFRT)
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)
- Kanyashree Prakalpa